Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) in The Woodlands, Texas, with Dr. W. Marshall Guy
Our practice always strives to bring the most effective, natural, and cost-effective treatment methods to our patients. In today’s world, more and more patients are leaning towards “natural” solutions to solve their aging-related cosmetic concerns. There is perhaps nothing more natural than a treatment method that’s derived from your body’s own healing and growth factors.
You may have heard of PRP or platelet rich plasma. Platelet rich fibrin (PRF) is the evolution of PRP. These treatments involve the placement of your own growth factors and cytokines which are molecules that help with skin healing and growth. PRP and PRF both deliver the same materials. The difference is the speed with which the samples are spun as well as how they interact once injected. With PRP it is collected with a tube that prevents the blood from clotting. This means everything is released very quickly upon injection. The anticlotting agent also causes a little discomfort as well. With PRP there is no anti clotting material used in the tube. This means there is minimal discomfort with the injection and more importantly, it provides a temporary scaffold that stores the growth products.
These products are then released over the course of weeks providing a more steady state. The best analogy for this is a time released medication. Instead of having to take a pill multiple times a day the time released version releases medication with a single daily dose. With PRF because it stores the healing growth factors and slowly releases them, it provides for more improvement. It is great for hair restoration, usually performed about every 6 weeks for 3-6 treatments. It is also effective for treating under eye circles from skin discoloration, and provides temporary volume for under eye hollows. In addition, it can be injected throughout the skin to improve skin quality. Find out more with your consultation if this treatment is right for you.
How is PRF Different From PRP?
PRP and PRF are very closely related; PRF is essentially the evolution of PRP. Each treatment involves placing growth factors and cytokines that help with skin healing and growth. However, PRF produces much more robust results than PRP. This is primarily because of the way the samples are collected, as well as how they interact once injected.
The key advantages that PRF has over PRP are:
- No Anti-Clotting Material: PRP is collected with a tube that stops the blood from clotting, making everything release quickly into the body after being injected. Conversely, PRF contains no anti-clotting material in the collection tube. This means that you should not feel any discomfort during the procedure.
- Slow Release: Whereas PRP releases into the body quickly, PRF’s lack of anti-clotting material in the tube allows for a temporary scaffold that stores the growth products and releases them more gradually. This takes place over the course of weeks, which entails more healing and better results. The best analogy for this is a time released medication; instead of having to take a pill multiple times a day, the time released version releases medication with a single daily dose.
What is PRF Used For?
PRF can be used to improve the following areas:
- Skin Quality: PRF can be injected in various areas to improve skin quality and brilliance.
- Hair Restoration: PRF is excellent for hair restoration. It typically works best when administered every six weeks for three to six treatments.
- Other Aging Issues: PRF also treats undereye circles from skin discoloration, adds temporary volume for under-eye hollows, and more.
Dr. Guy will recommend PRF if he feels it will address your concerns in the best way.
What are the Benefits of PRF Injections?
PRF can be highly beneficial to anyone concerned with the conditions listed in the section above. It also maintains many advantages, including:
- Natural: Because PRF is derived from a sample of your blood, you will not be injected with any foreign materials. Our specialists will take the sample, process it through a centrifuge, and then reinject it into the treatment areas.
- Safe: Like PRP, PRF is almost entirely safe. Adding no foreign materials means that your body will not reject the injections. It also means that you have virtually no chance of having an allergic reaction to the serum.
- Proven: Experts have proven that PRF can deliver dramatic anti-aging results for the right patients. It works to actively restore your skin and hair by generating elastin, collagen, and other key factors.
If you want to learn more about Platelet Rich Fibrin in The Woodlands, Spring, Shenandoah, or greater Houston area, your next step is to schedule a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Guy.
It's Your Time to Look Your Best!
Dr. Guy is a specialist in all areas of rejuvenation and reconstruction for the face and neck. As a double board-certified and fellowship-trained facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Guy knows that everyone ages differently and that there is no one size fits all when it comes to restoring a youthful appearance. From surgical options like a facelift to non-surgical options like Botox® and dermal fillers, there’s never a better time to look your best.
Your Consultation with Dr. Guy
Are you ready to see what PRF injections can do for you? If so, Dr. Guy would be happy to meet with you to discuss the unique benefits that PRF can offer you. Dr. Guy will explain the procedure to you, let you voice any questions or concerns, and also recommend any other treatments that may better suit your needs. The decision to have a cosmetic procedure lies solely in your hands; Dr. Guy is only here to help you find the results you want.
If you would like to learn more about The Woodlands PRF injections, we invite you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Guy today!
Platelet Rich Fibrin- Frequently Asked Questions
The cost of your PRF injections may depend on several factors, including the size of the treatment area, the amount of PRF injected, and the procedure’s duration. Our staff can provide you with a full breakdown of the estimated costs after consulting with Dr. Guy.
Not really. Most find the injections to be mild and very manageable. If you are worried about any pain, Dr. Guy can recommend using a numbing cream or pain medication to ease you through the process.