Skin Care in The Woodlands, Texas, with Dr. W. Marshall Guy
Most people do not realize this, but the skin is the largest organ of the human body. It serves many important functions including protection from the environment, heat control, and preventing damage from UV light. Despite its important function, the skin is often neglected until the signs of aging are already present.
If you want to learn more about skin care and our Jane Iredale makeup line in The Woodlands, Shenandoah, Spring, Cypress, Conroe, Kingwood, or Huntsville, TX, call 832-956-1040 or schedule a meeting with Dr. Guy today.
Skin Care Regimen
Appropriate skin care is paramount to maintaining a youthful appearance. The damaging effects of the sun to the skin cannot be overstated. It can lead to premature aging, sun spots, and even skin cancers.
First line therapy includes using a good sun screen with at least an SPF of 30. It is also important to reapply often and apply 20 minutes before you go out into the sun. It should be reapplied throughout the day and more frequently if you are sweating or swimming. Along this line, we sell our pharmaceutical grade sunscreen from our personal line called Mela Screen. This is designed to be used daily as opposed to only when you go out into the sun for extended periods. It also provides for a nice tint to give the appearance of a tan without the damaging effects of the sun.
The next line treatment for skin involves a Retin-A type product. There are various medications that fall into this category. At Dr. Guy Facial Plastic Surgery we carry both 0.1% and 0.05% retinol. Anytime you start using this type of a product it is important to get your skin accustomed to it. If you start out using it daily you will flake and have your skin look like it had a sun burn. The way this medication works is it causes your skin cells to turn over faster. This leads to a younger looking skin on the surface. What many people fail to realize is you do not have to flake to get a result. The goal with these types of creams is to get to the point just before your skin starts to flake.
Working hand in hand with retinol is our Vitamin C serum. Vitamin C works as an antioxidant to help with irritated skin. It is ideally used every other day to reach its effect.
Next up on the pyramid of skin care are alpha hydroxy acids. These include glycolic acid, lactic acid, etc. These help to act like superficial chemical peels to remove the top layer of dead skin as well as improve acne. You will find these ingredients in our Exfoliating Cleanser.
For those patients looking for a moisturizer, we carry three options. The first two options include daily moisturizers depending on your skin type (oily or dry). For those with oily skin we carry our Gentle Moisturizer. For those with dry skin we carry our Advanced Moisturizer. The third option helps not only to moisturize your skin but to improve the appearance of wrinkles and aged skin. This is our Volumizing Moisture Cream.
To help improve the sun spots and superficial discolorations, bleaching agents are recommended. Weaker, non-prescription based bleaching agents can be found over the counter. However, to truly get the result you need, medical grade products are available at Dr. Guy Facial Plastic Surgery. These include products combining Kojic acid and the revolutionary skin lightening product Arbutase into one simple to use product for maximum results. This is available as our Advanced Brightening Cream.
For those with more concerns around the eyes, we carry our Dual Eye Cream. Although it is called dual, it really helps with the following three conditions: 1) fine lines with a mild retinol solution, 2) dark circles with our brightening agents, and 3) bags around the eyes.
Depending on what your goals are with your skin, Dr. Guy and staff can help to create a customized skincare regimen. Given the quality assurance required and the prescription-grade skincare, these products are only available in the office. The right products for you can be discussed with Dr. Guy during your consultation.
Jane Iredale Makeup List
Used to set mineral makeup foundation for a long-lasting smooth finish.
- Balances oil production and pH, ideal for Acneic skin types
- Orange Essential Oil, Orange Peel Extract, Grapefruit Peel Extract and Algae Extract calm and feed the skin. Green Tea Extract battles acne-causing bacteria
- A facial spritz based on Ylang Ylang that helps to hydrate and plump skin cells while Chamomile Flower Extract helps alleviate dryness, redness and itching. Ideal for Dry and/or Dehydrated skin types
- A must have for post-laser
- A facial spritz with the added benefit of Pomegranate Extract, a powerful antioxidant that helps fight free radical production caused by sun exposure
- Hydrates and conditions all skin types, ideal for hyperpigmentation and discoloration
- A soothing facial mist with a lemony scent that reduces dryness, redness and limits the secretion of oils
- An instant pick-me-up that helps alleviate the feeling of jet lag and stress, ideal for all skin types and sensitive skin
100% vegan, cruelty free and water resistant up to 40 minutes. These foundations are used all over the face to create an even, smooth base for the rest of your makeup.
- A pressed mineral foundation that is slightly more sheer and matte than the loose powders
- An SPF foundation, powder and concealer with broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) sun protection. Either SPF 20 or SPF 15 depending on the shade
- Place in Jane Iredale Refillable Compact and apply with the Handi Brush in downward strokes, blending well. Finish with your favorite Hydration Spray
- Glow Time covers blemishes, minimizes the appearance of pores, disguises wrinkles and smoothes and brightens skin for a luminous velvety finish
- Start with a few dots and apply with fingers to the face and neck, blend with Blending Brush or Flocked Sponge
Used to mask dark circles, age spots, large pores and other blemishes visible on the skin.
- The ultimate concealer for dark circles, hyperpigmentation and bruising
- Rich in anti-irritant and antioxidant properties that reduce the appearance of dark under eye circles and puffiness, brighten and revitalize the look of tired eyes and hydrate and contribute to the appearance of firmer skin
- Use Camouflage Brush and apply to dark eye circles, hyperpigmentation or bruising before or after foundation
- A professional palette created for camouflaging all the stages of bruising as well as hyperpigmentation
- The colors actually follow the “life cycle” of a bruise, concealing it at every stage. Yellow conceals redness, Peach hides blue, purple or grey, Lilac covers yellow and Beige conceals hyperpigmentation
Mattifying Powders and Sunscreen
Sunscreens for face and body without chemical sunscreen actives.
Used to protect the lips with SPF, moisturizing and hydrating ingredients.
- Quench your lips with hydrating protection that will leave lips feeling moisturized, protected and refreshingly scented
- A variety of waxes and oils combine to provide an antioxidant-rich protective shield with a refreshing lemon flavor
It's Your Time to Look Your Best!
Dr. Guy is a specialist in all areas of rejuvenation and reconstruction for the face and neck. As a double board-certified and fellowship-trained facial plastic surgeon, Dr. Guy knows that everyone ages differently and that there is no one size fits all when it comes to restoring a youthful appearance. From surgical options like a facelift to non-surgical options like Botox® and dermal fillers, there’s never a better time to look your best.